Friday, May 13, 2016

A Gastronomical Misadventure

A Gastronomical Misadventure

One day, my Pa had some extra money from making shine and, being in a good mood, he gave me some and told me to go out and get myself a good meal.  So I decided to go to one of those fancy-shmancy places where you have to wear a shirt and shoes.
When I arrived at the place, a man came over and told me that I had to have a jacket in order to get into the restaurant.  When I told him that I didn’t have one, he went into this room and came out with a spiffy jacket with gold buttons on the front.  He helped me put it on then led into the restaurant. 
As we walked among the tables of folks eating their grub, I noticed that a lot of them were staring at me.  I sure was glad that I thought to comb my hair before I left the trailer.  I figured it was natural for those fine people to be curious about a good-looking fellow like myself wearing a fine jacket with gold buttons.
The guy took me to a table right next to the swinging doors where the waiters came in and out with trays of food.  I was amazed that he would give me such a special table.  The clatter of noise in the kitchen made me feel right at home.
Then a waiter with a towel over his arm came over and put a menu in front of me and asked me if I would care to order.  I looked at all of the meals listed and saw that they were written in some sort of foreign language.  But, luckily, there were pictures of the food. 
I pointed to one that looked okay and said, “What’s this?”
He said, “That’s vichyssoise.  One of our finest meals.”
I said, “Yeah.  But what is it?”
He gave me a funny look and said, “It’s basically potato soup.”
Well, I love potato soup so I said, “That sounds good.  I’ll have that.”
The guy wrote down my order on a small pad and walked off. 
A moment later, another guy came by with a glass of water, a bowl of salad, a cup of coffee and some long, narrow pieces of bread.
The coffee was hot so I had to pour some on my saucer to let it cool a little, first.  Some of the people around me looked over as I slurped it, and I figured they were out of coffee and were upset because I was getting better service.
Just as I was finishing the last piece of bread and the salad, the waiter brought my soup.  It sure smelled good.  I couldn’t wait to dig into it.  But when I put the first spoonful in my mouth, I had to spit it out.  The darned stuff was cold.  I couldn’t believe that such a fancy-shmancy restaurant would serve cold food to its customers.  Well, let me tell you: I called the waiter back over and gave him heck.
I said, “This stuff is cold.  What kind of a place is this, anyway?”
He rolled his eyes and said, “But, sir….”
I wasn’t about to take any lip from him and cut him off.  “Don’t ‘But, sir’ me.  I demand to see the owner of this place.”
He gave me a defeated look and stalked off.
A little while later, the waiter and another gentleman came over to my table.
The man said, “What seems to be the trouble, Sir?”
I pointed to the bowl of soup.  “This potato soup is cold.  I’m not going to pay good money for cold food.  What kind of a place is this, anyway?”
The man gave the waiter a knowing look and said, “Have this taken away.  We can’t have our best customers complaining about cold food.”  Then he turned to me.  “We value our customers, Sir.  I’ll tell you what.  Go ahead and pick out something from the desert tray, and you can have it gratis.”
Not familiar with foreign languages, I asked, “What does gratis mean?”
Smiling kindly, he said, “That means you get it free.  It’s the least we can do for a fine gentleman like yourself.”
Somewhat mollified, I nodded.  “Okay.  Let me see what I want.”  I opened the menu and looked though the desert section.  I pointed to a picture of ice cream with cherries on it.  “This looks good.  I love cherries.”
The man looked pleased.  “Very good, Sir.  That’s Cherry Jubilee.  I’m sure you’ll find it very satisfying.  It’s one of our finest deserts.”
The waiter scowled and took away the bowl of cold soup.  I had a suspicion, then, that I was going to have more trouble with that guy.
Then the other waiter came back with more coffee and bread.  As I saucered and slurped the coffee, the people around me began staring at me, again.  I understood how they felt because I wasn’t particularly happy with the service, either.
However, I was willing to let bygones be bygones because they were giving me free desert, after all.  So when the waiter brought me the cherry desert, I didn’t make any snide remarks.   
He set a dish of vanilla ice cream in front of me.  Then he put a pan of cherries in a sauce on a bracket and squirted something on it.  It looked delicious.  I couldn’t wait to try it.  But then, to my surprise and horror, he lit a long match and set my desert on fire.  I was so shocked that I instinctively picked up my glass and tossed the water onto the flames.
The waiter was shocked, as well.  He probably didn’t expect someone to act so decisively to avert a disaster.  He said, “But, Sir….”
I cut him off, again.  “’But, Sir,’ my ass.  You did that on purpose because I told on you about the cold soup.  Well, I’m not going to sit here let you make a fool out of me, again.”  I got up and stormed out of the restaurant.  And not a single person dared get in my way.
I was halfway back to my trailer when I began to calm down.  Thinking about it rationally, I had to admit that it hadn’t been too bad.  I got two great cups of coffee and a lot of bread and a salad.  And, best of all, I got a spiffy, new jacket.  All gratis.  That means for free.



Copyright © 2016 Lawrence Entertainment Group

No comments:

Post a Comment